Rural Policy Committee
The Rural Policy Committee, appointed by the Government, prepares national rural policy and develops the rural policy system. Through its work, the committee supports both regional and local rural development and contributes to more efficient utilisation of the programmes co-financed by the EU and of other rural development instruments. Work is done in cooperation between the State, municipalities, companies and associations, and rural policy measures are directed at all residents irrespective of their occupation, age or gender. In recent years, the number of tasks has increased; for instance, international cooperation and exchange of information have become an integral part of the committee’s activity.
The Rural Policy Committee has existed since 1988. The term of the present committee runs from 17 July 2013 to 31 December 2015.
Tasks of the Rural Policy Committee
- Implementation and follow-up of the Rural Policy Programme 2014-2020 anf the Rural Policy Operational Programme 2012-2015 cooperatively between different sectors of administration and external parties to the administration as well as preparation and implementation of the government's rural policies to assist the government.
- Development of structures and practices in the development of rural policies and rural areas to be based on networked activity and partnership and to support location-based policies.
- Theme-focused development work, especially in the thematic priority fields defined in the Rural Policy Programme.
- Strengthening of rural research and know-how, e.g., with national rural research and development projects.
- Promotion, by rural actors, of national and international networking and exchange of experiences,
- Development of rural proofing and promotion and monitoring of its implementation.
- Influencing, e.g., by participating and issuing statements about important rural policy related projects that are under discussion in several administrative sectors.
- Strengthening of the structures and practises of local development.
- Improvement of conditions for interaction and cooperation among the countryside, islands and city carried out together with the Committee of Urban Policy, the Island Committee and with other parties.
- Participation in the coordination of natural and the EU regional and rural policies.